Mental Game Coaching
Golf is a challenging game and many golfers are frustrated with their performance. The most overlooked area that will make the biggest difference is the MENTAL GAME of GOLF. Golfers have struggled to find ways to be consistent through traditional golf instruction or buying the latest state of the art driver. Peak performance in golf is the ability to integrate your mind, body, and swing to shoot lower scores and with an increased enjoyment of the game.
What Rick Sessinghaus, “Golf’s Mental Coach” teaches is a system of improvement that integrates these three factors. The psychology of golf has become more accepted as a way to lower scores, yet so many are still confused about what it is and how to apply it to their game.
Rick utilizes his Take AIM system of improvement.
This consists of:
- Assessing current goals and challenges for improvement
- Implementing the skills needed to reach your goals
- Mastering these skills so you can perform at your best no matter the situation
Here are some of the skills that are learned to reach your goals.
- Blocking out distractions and focusing on the correct cues on the course
- Playing with confidence all the time!
- Staying mentally tough even after poor shots
- Being prepared to play your best in competition
- Mastering your swing fundamentals so you can just play golf
- Understanding how your golf fitness will affect your performance
- Taking your range game to the golf course
- Developing a practice schedule that will accelerate your improvements
Rick’s experience includes:
- Playing at both the collegiate and professional level
- Member of the PGA
- Holds a Doctorate in Applied Sports Psychology
- Mental Game Certified Professional
- Working with golfers who have won at every level
- Instructional Editor for Golf Tips Magazine
- Featured on Fox Sports Network
- Author of Golf: The Ultimate Mind Game
- 2008 Southern California PGA Metro Teacher of the Year
“Rick’s insights into the mental game have helped several of my students achieve their goals. He is an expert in sports psychology.”
–Brady Riggs, Top 100 Golf Instructor
Focus Band Training
The FocusBand measures your arousal state while performing a swing routine and is able to measure and highlight to the golfer areas that are causing mental blockages. As the mental coach I can now apply drills to ensure the golfer is now free of mental chatter and is able to Focus and swing with minimal anxiety and tension.When you start a motor pattern from the same arousal level as when it was practiced, the motor pattern will be able to be retrieved and executed with accuracy and consistency. The mind/brain controls the body movements so when there is a problem in the golf swing these scenarios need to be investigated:
Brain was not given a clear enough picture of the intent.
Neural system was not able to pass the message on to the muscles due not knowing the pathway to the intended muscles and/or it took too long to get the message to the muscles
Muscles were not physically able to perform the motion due to poor conditioning or they were given the incorrect instructions
Introduction to Mental Game Coaching
Listen to this 12 minute introduction to golf’s mental game
To schedule a Mental Game coaching session call Rick at 818-843-1004 or click here.
With my extensive background in athletics, I know what the difference is between being the best and just being another competitor. Athletic competition requires the mental and emotional skills to play at one’s best. With my coaching, a golfer will improve in the following areas:
- Sustaining motivation
- Focusing despite distractions
- Controlling emotions
- Preparing for competition
- Performing well under the most extreme pressure
- Becoming mentally tough even when obstacles arise
- Develop winning routines
- Identifying the beliefs and attitudes that hinder your performance.
- Shattering the mental obstacles to break through your performance barriers.
- Mastering proven mental strategies to give your performance a boost!
With improved mental and emotional skills you will:
- Shoot lower scores
- Play great in tournaments
- Be prepared for any situation
- Enjoy the game more
- Achieve your golf goals
What you get:
- A personalized performance assessment (GMAP) to find out your strengths and weaknesses.
- Assessment of current skills, goals, and challenges
- Weekly coaching sessions by telephone (Four 60 minute coaching sessions per month) with “Golf’s Mental Coach”, Rick Sessinghaus
- Custom mental game lesson plans sent to you via email or fax
Sport Psychology Customized Coaching Options:
- In person hands on training with Rick Sessinghaus at Scholl Canyon Golf Course in Glendale, CA
- Full day immersion program- applying the mental game on the course
- One-on-One competition coaching at your location
- Ongoing monthly support coaching to include 4 sessions per month
- Customize your own onsite or coaching program
- Customized workshops available for sports teams
Athlete Assessments’ behavioral profiles are all about understanding the drivers of coaches, athletes and sports professionals. The AthleteDISC, CoachDISC and ManagerDISC profiles use proven profiling techniques and based on decades of behavioral research and many years of top level sporting experience. After completing your questionnaire, which takes just 7-10 minutes, you receive an in depth 44-page personalized report. Your report analyzes your personal style, strengths and limitations and gives you tools and strategies you can start using straight away.
Assessment and one coaching call 818-843-1004
“I feel so honored to have Rick on “my team”. My entire game has improved since we have been working together, he has given me the tools to stay in the present and focus on the process instead of the outcomes. I would not be where I am today without him, and look forward to seeing what we can do in the future!”
–Krystal Shearer, 2007 California Women’s Open Champion
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need mental game coaching? Ask yourself the following.
- Do I perform better in practice than in competition?
- Have I lost confidence?
- Do I lose control of my emotions?
- Am I easily distracted in competition?
- Has my performance has hit a plateau?
If you answered yes then contact Rick today to take your mental skills to the next level.
Here are other questions that prospective clients have asked.
Does Rick work with teams?
Yes, Rick takes his message to teams looking to raise their level of performance.
Why should I work with Rick?
Rick has the unique background of being a competitive athlete and educated in cutting edge performance techniques. He gets results, quickly.
Does Rick work with athletes in all sports?
Rick’s system is applied to all sports. The same performance principles apply to all athletes.
What level of athlete does Rick work with?
Rick works with all level from novices to professionals.
Does Rick work with children?
Yes, several of Rick’s clients have been children from the age of 10-17.
Do these principles help business professionals?
Yes, Rick has coached several executives on how to perform under pressure through his corporate trainings and customized events.
Does Rick work with golfers outside the Los Angeles Area?
Yes, Rick works with golfers from all areas of the country. Mental game coaching can be accomplished over the phone and through email.
“About a year ago I was having many problems focusing throughout the pattern and controlling my nerves. Rick and I came up with different ways to refocus my thoughts on the good and positive aspects of riding. Through visualization and confidence Rick helped me achieve my goal of becoming a top ten rider in the world and number one in the Pacific Coast. Thank you Rick for all your help.”
–Rebecca Murray, Top 10 Nationally Equestrian
To book a mental game coaching session call Rick at 818-843-1004 or click here.